Small Business File Sharing and Collaboration
The more successful your business is, the more files you have. These files need a storage facility. For decades, each file that needed to be kept would be printed off and stored in a file cabinet. Today, there are better solutions; and, since a lot of the work being done today is collaborative, file sharing has really moved to the digital age. Let’s help you do some things you need to do to maintain efficient file management systems.
Have a Plan
If you plan on using your file sharing system to promote better productivity, there is something that you should know: collaboration is best when it’s simple. To promote simplicity, your file sharing platform will need to be accessible from remote locations and be managed properly. Some of the rules you will want to implement in your file sharing platform that will promote collaboration include:
- Shallow folders - Don’t go too deep. The easier things are to find, the better for everyone. The more levels people have to navigate, the less apt they are to file things away properly. Limiting to, say, three levels will help keep cooperative data storage easy and useful for everyone.
- Coordinated filings - It will always be frustrating to go to a folder where something ought to be only to not find the file you are looking for, especially if they are supposed to be shared resources.
- Relevant naming - Have a plan when naming files and folders. Name them as practically as you can.
- Consistent use of file types - Does your team vary the type of files you use? To keep continuity both in storage and in quality, using the same file formats can be beneficial.
- No trash - Saving files that don’t belong in a folder can gum up the folder pretty fast. Keep trash out of your folders for the best experience.
By having an overarching strategy in place, you and your team will be able to quickly find the folders and files in your file sharing platform.
Control over Collaborators
We all know collaboration is the driving force behind today’s productive workforce. Your team has to function as one to create, and sustain, the revenue streams your business depends on. That means security has to be a priority. By controlling the access points to your file sharing platform, you can ensure that people who need access, have it, while also protecting your business from unauthorized access.
Prioritize Data Security
While simplicity and access control will go a long way toward keeping your file sharing platform secure, for it to be truly safe, you absolutely need to train your team and use innovative tools. Encryption tools go a long way toward ensuring data remains secure.
If you would like more information about how to make your file sharing platform work best for your company, call the professionals at BEI today at (844) BIZ-EDGE.